Pages

Thursday 9 February 2012

Health Tip: The Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses


I am really low in iron. Not sure what's wrong with my body (I could try to explain the process of how I got low in iron but it's complicated and long!) but I know what I can do to start making positive changes! My holistic doctor told me to start taking blackstrap molasses, 2 tablespoons a day. I did, and wow, what a difference! More energy, and just all around more alert which I was so lacking! I'm not the best at explaining certain health tips so I thought I would being you part of an article from Zen to Fitness! If you're not convinced after this well, you've got a problem!

Blackstrap Molasses is a syrupy sweetener that can be bought pretty cheaply these days. Thankfully it is very different to other sweeteners which are highly refined, processed and stripped of all their nutrients (Glucose Syrup, White Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup etc….). I am a big believer in getting our vitamins and minerals from real food – For me a small amount of real food nutrients are far better utilised by the body than any synthetic vitamin could ever be.
Now I know a lot of people will think this post is basically touting sugar, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. As blackstrap molasses is totally different from other types of sweet foods or sugars and works as a very healthy sweetener for tea, coffee, oatmeal and many other dishes.

Our society is so chemical laden that we are leeching the minerals that we need from our systems. Blackstrap puts back some of those minerals naturally.

This is because Blackstrap Molasses is one of the most nutrient dense foods around – full of vitamins and minerals containing the following:

- Iron
- Calcium (more calcium than dairy)
- Magnesium
- Mangenese, Chromium, Molybdenum, and many other trace minerals.
- B Vitamins
- Vitamin E

The high and bio-available source of Iron makes it a great addition to females diets as well as growing children – To put it in perspective Molasses has more iron than red meat. It is also rich in calcium which makes people think of dairy or green vegetables as the only source. We forget how important calcium is for metabolism, muscle contractions and correct cell function. 2 TSP’s of blackstrap molasses will provide you with a large proportion of your daily needs of many of these vitamins and minerals, most importantly though they come in a form that our bodies are familiar with and can make use of.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's something I never heard before! And am very glad to know now! More calcium and iron is always important! Could you tell us specifically how you're working that into your everyday foods? I'd love to try....

    ReplyDelete
  2. to be honest, the easiest way to do it is to just take a table spoon of it straight. i don't drink coffee so the taste is extra gross for me. my mom puts it in her tea, i tried it, wanted to throw up, ha ha. it's also go in oatmeal, which i have every day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...