Pages

Saturday 5 November 2011

Guest Post: Aelea with Mocha Scones!

What is your name? Aelea
 
Where do you live? Winkler, MB
 
What's your favorite recipe? I have this amazing recipe for chocolate chip cookies with caramel in the middle that are a hit whenever I make them!
 
What's your favorite kitchen tool? I have this one mixing bowl that I love! It's one with measurements on the sides. It's taller then some which is great! I find when I go to bake at people's houses with them, it's good to have a mixing bowl that goes a little higher up then normal because you never know how fast the “low” on an electric mixer really is! hahaha
 
What do you live by in life? (Your motto, a quote, a verse etc.) One person can change the world. It's a very true statement!

Hello Hello! I'm Aelea and I'm super pumped to be a guest blogger again! After the cake pops were featured on the blog, I've had many people asking me for tips and tricks and it's been so great to be able to help others out with something I enjoy making! With fall upon us and the holiday season on the way, my world is about to get carried away with baking! Fall makes me want to make everything pumpkin, apple, coffee and spiced! This recipe is perfect for the season! And my husband, who isn't very into chocolate even liked them!


Recipe:
This is a recipe for Mocha Scones. I got the recipe from My Baking Addiction and have slightly addapted a few things...Enjoy!!!

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (The original recipe called for 2 ¼...I tired that but found my dough so moist I couldn't even work with it so I added more in!)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup espresso, room temperature (The original recipe called for “strong coffee”. Since my husband owns a coffee shop, I just got them to give me a couple shots of espresso. It has such a great flavour – better than just making some “strong coffee” at home (oh how it pains me to even say Strong Coffee after having some coffee knowledge) so I'd recommend going to a local shop and getting a few shots to use)
1 large egg

 

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease Pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Use the large holes of a box grater to grate the butter into the flour mixture. Use a fork to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in chocolate chips.
3. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream, coffee and egg until smooth.
4. Stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until the dough comes together. The dough will be moist and sticky but will still all stick together.
5. Place on a lightly floured work surface.
There are a few options for how to go about making the scone shapes. I'll mention how I did it (pictures would have been great!) then give other options. The way I did it was I patted down a rectangle. Then cut the rectange in half. I then cut each half in half so you'd have 4 rectanlges total. I took each rectangle and cut it into 4 triangles.
Another option I've seen on a lot of blogs is the following: Pat the dough into an 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick and use a sharp knife to cut it into 8 triangles.
6. Place scones on prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 12 minutes worked best for me. The original recipe calls for about 15.
7. Cool on wire rack. Once scones are cool, prepare the glaze.

Mocha Glaze

Ingredients

1/4 cup Espresso!!

1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar 

2 ounces semi-sweet bakers chocolate, melted (The original recipe called for unsweetened chocolate but I like using semi-sweet!)

 

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine coffee and confectioners’ sugar and whisk until smooth. Whisk in melted chocolate until thoroughly combined.
2. I put the scones onto a piece of wax paper. Place chocolate glaze in a large zip top bag, use scissors to snip a small piece of the bag off the corner of the bag.
3. Drizzle chocolate glaze over the scones. Allow glaze to set for about an hour.

Note: Once I had cut the dough into 2 halves I patted in some chocolate chips just for something fun :)


Want to be a Guest Writer? I'd love to have you! Here's how! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...