This is the second bar I made for the anniversary celebration. It's dutch so I thought that was fitting seeing as a lot of the family is dutch. This bar is a nice change from all the American recipes in this book and you can tell it's European and I love that. It's soft and I love the sugar and nuts on top; for some reason it makes me feel like a kid.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 15x10x1-inch baking pan. In large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, margarine, almond extract and egg yolk; blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour and cinnamon; mix well. Press evenly in greased pan.
- In small bowl, beat water and egg white until frothy; brush over dough. Sprinkle evenly with almonds and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake at 350°F. for 17 to 22 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately cut into 3x1-inch bars. Cool completely in pan.