Pages

Monday 19 December 2011

Baking My Way: Fudgy Butterscotch Bar

I took this to a family gathering and it was a hit. It makes a large amount so I'm glad it was a hit because I didn't want this ultra sweet dessert sitting around at my house. I think if I made this dessert again I would reduce the sugar because it was killer sweet. It's a great dessert, but I think you need to either want a sugar rush or each it in small doses! It's very similar to the butterscotch bar you'll find in Starbucks or Second Cup (and so many other coffee shops; it's sort of a coffee shop staple!).  


Ingredients:
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons margarine
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pinch salt

Directions:
1 Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2 Grease pan.
3 In a saucepan, melt chocolate chips with the 2 tablespoons of margarine and condensed milk.
4 Stir constantly and set aside when mixture is well blended and looks smooth.
5 In another saucepan, melt 1 cup of margarine over low heat.
6 Remove from heat and add brown sugar and eggs.
7 Blend well.
8 Add the rest of the ingredients (flour, coconut, vanilla, salt, etc) and mix well.
9 Spread half of this batter into the pan then layer the chocolate mixture by tablespoonfuls over the batter.
10 Now spread the remaining batter over this chocolate layer.
11 With the tip of a knife, swirl slightly to create a marble appearance.
12 Bake for 30- 35 minutes or until slight golden brown and center comes out clean when a toothpick is inserted.
13 Cool for at least 45 minutes.
14 Cut into bars.

Recipe Source

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...