Pages

Friday 9 December 2011

Making Vanilla


So for Christmas my mom got me this make your own vanilla jar. It came with the vanilla stocks and the cut jar and it's super simple.


All you need to do is cut the beans length wise and add vodka. You have to seal it and let it sit for 4-6 months and then you have vanilla! I thought that was a seriously cool idea!
A little expensive to start it out (I think she paid $5 for the jar) especially considering I made the mistake of using Marshall's Gray Goose instead of getting something cheaper (I only had a little bit of Smirnoff so I used that first) but you can just keep refilling the vodka as it runs out so I thought this was great! I'll write again and post a picture in 6 months when I know how well it works and how good it taste. I'm curious if it's going to turn dark like normal vanilla extract.

4 comments:

  1. I never knew you could get a "kit?" How long is the vanilla good for? ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it will get dark. ;)

    Don't feel bad using a higher quality alcohol. The flavor of the choice of alcohol DOES affect the taste of the vanilla...especially in uncooked foods, like smoothies or Egg Nog.

    I found I preferred cheap rum to cheap vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would say it's good, well forever, it's in alcohol so it's just sitting there in suspension

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...