Pages

Friday 20 January 2012

Shortbread Coconut Brownie

So I made some chocolate pixies and I found the dough just so hard to work with, and I had been baking for hours so I just gave up and put the rest of the dough in the fridge. I was planning to come back to it and finish making the cookies but then I started complaining to Marshall that I was so not interested in doing that. He said "Make a cake out of it". I, being the baker, quickly told him "I can't just do that, the recipes are totally different!" but then I thought about it some more and realized he was sort of right (don't worry, I told him he was right too, he liked that). I decided that because the chocolate pixie recipe just stuck to the pan I would have to put some sort of layer under it. What better then shortbread right? And I thought it was a little boring just like that so I thought why not some coconut? I just made a German Chocolate Brownie so I took and altered that recipe, put it all together, crossed my fingers, and got the best dessert I have made in a while! This bar is so tasty, you'll love it! It's not too sweet but sweet where it counts. I know it's not super original but I'm super proud of myself. 

Shortbread Layer
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 cup diced mixed candies fruit
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I prefer slivered almonds)

Heat oven to 350F

Combine sugar, butter and beat until it's light and fluffy.

Add vanilla and egg; beat well.

Add flour; mix well.


Brownie Layer 

1/8 cup margarine or butter
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, cut into pieces
1 cups All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
1 cups sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs

In large saucepan, melt margarine and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and eggs; mix well. Set aside.


Coconut Topping
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup coconut
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
butter?

Mix all of the ingredients together, set aside.


Baking & Layering Instructions
Spread shortbread dough in 9x9'' pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Pull out of the oven. Spread brownie layer over shortbread and put back in the over for 10-12 minutes.

Pull brownie out of the over, turn the oven on broil. Spread the coconut mixture evenly over the brownie. Put back into the oven, 4'' from the broiler, for 1 minute. Don't leave it in longer, you will burn it!

Let cool for 1 hour, then cut into pieces. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I could eat every last bit of those, no joke. They sound and look scrumptious! - Cares

    ReplyDelete
  2. These decadent brownies have a delicious layer of chocolate sandwiched between two coconut layers. This is really simple and easy to make this yummy recipe. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe for a special Christmas treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great dessert to come up with! These look beyond awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...