Pages

Saturday 22 October 2011

Guest Post: Erin from Art for Life

When Amanda approached me to write a guest post I was really flattered because I am just a humble home cook with a fairly new blog, www.artfoodlifeblog.com . I teach art during the day, and spend a lot of time in the kitchen afterward to unwind. I am an amateur gardener, but really, just so that I can get fresh food for the table. My thumb is only army green at best. Cajun born, Texas raised; I know a little something about soulful food. My food tends to be straight-forward, unpretentious, and above all else, flavorful.

What is your name? Erin from Art+Food+Life
Where do you live? Katy (near Houston), Texas
What's your favorite recipe? That is SO hard! I will have to go with a little piece of my childhood: Potatoes and Sausage
What's your favorite kitchen tool? My cast iron skillet
What do you live by in life? Do not let a day pass you buy without appreciating something beautiful: the color of the clouds at sunset, the face of the person you love, the song of a mocking bird.

Today I am sharing this wonderful Greek sauce called Tzatziki (pronounced dzah-DZEE-kee). Think of it as the Greek version of Ranch dressing. It is healthy, fresh, and flavorful. I like it on burgers and gyros. It also makes an excellent dip for pita chips and veggies. For those hot summer days, serve it on a salad of tomatoes, cucumber, and olives for a creamy and fresh appetizer.

Making this sauce is very simple. Scoop the seeds out of your cucumber. Chop the cucumber then squeeze it in a tea towel to remove any extra juice. Then combine the cucumber with yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and dill in the bowl of your food processor. Finally, pulse until it comes together as a sauce. Tzatziki can be stored in your fridge for up to a week.


Tzatziki Sauce
1 1/2 cup chopped cucumber, seeds removed
16 ounces strained Greek yogurt (I prefer Fage brand)
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons lemon juice (about half a lemon)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped dill

Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. Combine the cucumber, yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and dill in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse until the sauce comes together but is not yet smooth (10 - one second pulses). Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week. Serve cold.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the feature Amanda! I love that recipe for entertaining. It is something a little different but still approachable to guests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin nice to meet you and that recipe is yummy.Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...