Pages

Monday 2 January 2012

Baking My Way: Maple Date Cookies

This was a cookie that I wasn't too sure I was going to like but I was going to a BBQ so I thought it would be a good fit. But you know what, wow, this is a good cookie and I think you could have even added some bacon! They are really tasty and not too datish like a date square (note: I put less dates then the recipes ask for). I think this cookie has made it to my "will bake again" list. 

Ingredients
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1 egg
1 1/2 cups All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans


Directions
In large bowl, beat brown sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, maple extract and egg; blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in dates and walnuts. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.

Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350°F. for 9 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. They look good! I have a oatmeal date bar recipe that I love, but I'm always so surprised that I like them! Those dates just never look appetizing by themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious looking combination cookies look wonderful

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...