Pages

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Baking My Way: Russian Sour Cream Tarts

This is an interesting cookie. I really wasn't too sure how it would turn out. It's got an interesting taste to it, for sure not a Canadian or American style cookie, it's got a European flavor to it. It was my first go at meringue (believe it or not! I can't believe it's taken me this long to do a meringue!) and it turned out alright, I know I can do better and I'm so excited to try it again and again!

Cookies:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten

Filling:
1 1/4 cup ground blanched almonds
2 tablespoons icing sugar
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons peach or apricot preserve
1 egg

Meringue:
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar


Heat oven to 350.

Combine flour sugar and salt. Using a fork cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add egg yolk; knead until smooth dough forms, adding a few drops of ice water if needed.

On a floured surface roll out dough to 1/4inch thickness. Cut with round scalloped cutter.  Please on cookie sheet.

Combine all filling ingredients. Mix well. Spoon 1 teaspoon filling into each cookie and spread to edges.

Beat egg whites, gradually adding sugar. Beat until meringue forms soft peaks. Top each cookie with 1 teaspoon meringue.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until meringue is light golden brown.

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...